Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Beaba Babycook

This weekend I had the opportunity to experiment with my Beaba Babycook. Saturday started with a trip to the Vincennes Farmer's Market. I purchased two butternut squash, tomatoes, and a jar of Papa Ed's Pepper Butter.

During Taj's first morning nap, I cut up the squash into tiny cubes and commenced to steaming and then pureeing in the Babycook. In retrospect, I wish I had just cooked the squash by roasting it in the oven as cleaning and cubing the butternut squash took a good 15-20 minutes and these days, i don't have that much time to spare. In any case, the steaming process took about 15 minutes. I then pureed by adding back my cooking water and pulsing for quite a while. The squash babyfood is good, although it is pretty thick and starchy. It seems best served with some extra water before warming and a nice thin fruit.

Two batches of squash later, I opened my "Cooking for Baby" cookbook.  I then, set out to make Taj a fan of zucchini. 
                                         
While I am still a bit skeptical about the zucchini, the cookbook states that zucchini is a perfect "first food" because of its mild and tender flesh. It also added that the skin would provide great nutrional value. I cleaned (throughly) two zucchini and then cubed them and let my Babycook do its work. The result was a beautiful rich, green puree. I tasted it and frankly, the flavor was very strong but tasty - especially when paired with my third and final babyfood project of the day....

ORANGES AND BANANAS!
This was my most successful attempt of the day. .

1 comment:

BellaBean said...

Massive excitement--can't wait until Flannery is able to eat solid foods--will have to get your recipes!